Part 22 May 2018
Today has been a good day, the grey leather steering wheel cover arrived, and I was also advised the repairs to the rotten body were completed, sufficient for us to finish the fitting the new brakes, skimmed brake hubs, make and install a new wiring loom and fit the body, prior to assembly of the doors, windows etc, ready for bodywork painting. I also managed to finish some work on the wiring conduits, the last bit of sandblasting by my local stonemason cleaning service, “Noone Memorials” of Glencorrib, Co Mayo.
The daffs and tulips have come out and the countryside is looking much happier. Martin and I visited Martin Nyland, the upholstery/woodwork specialist, who is rebuilding the rotten woodwork and making virtually new seats from 2.5 hides of leather (£150 per hide). In total, the 4 seats will cost €2,000!
Part 23 ::
Part 24 ::
A slight gap, due to summer holidays (Dubai, Edinburgh and the excellent Rolls Royce Annual gathering in June) caused a huge lack of funds to really proceed with much work.
The most annoying part of the rebuild was to find the black paint used for hand-painting various “hidden” parts dissolved with petrol, so after leaving the car outside during re-wiring, the fuel expanded and caused the paint to peel away!
Other parts from the chrome plating company are really looking good, new handle machined and looking ready for another 89 years work:
Electrics and Rewiring
With the ongoing support and help from my good neighbour, Martin Ryan (Secretary of the Shrule and District Vintage Club), we spend many evenings cutting, labelling and arranging the cloth coated colour coded wires into their new aluminium chassis conduits with repaired fittings.
To appreciate the old cars condition 18 months ago, the distribution box wasn’t ideal….
New wiring, probably the first since she was build 89 years ago and looking quite healthy
The old tyre and rim seen had better days but still help air, but only 50 year old air!
New tyre, tubes, air, sandblasted, powder coated and new nickel-plated hub fittings
The radiator slat mechanism had to be copied from what was left of the old parts found in the bottom of a fertilizer bag and guesses made as to the dimensions of various missing parts. 16 hours just to make a few parts less than 4.5 cm long
Even the linkage for the slats was missing, so had to be designed from scratch, here was a 1st attempt for a 4 slat link, later they realised a 7 slat one piece link could be made and worked better.
Part 25 :: August 2018
As she was bought, minus the clock, original knackered dash lights and poor woodwork
The refurbished dashboard has been temporarily fitted, so that we can test the wiring and switches, before the body is finally fitted – (saving for money to get it painted)
The chrome plating was nearly all done, but I decided to get the original driver internal door and window handles (only 1 of each supplied with the car) plated, as they were far better quality than the copies I received.
Before plating, 89 years of rust n neglect, but fresh for another 100 years now!
Here is the Park Ward ID Number 3530, referred to in Part 1, stamped into the inner door frame of the rear passenger doors, proving its provenance as a later light 4 Park Ward body, made on the 8th June 1931 – the factory works Order sheet confirms woodwork was cellulose ultramarine black paint, walnut waterproofed brown Connolly furniture leather with fawn cloth. My car was re-bodied in the 1950’s. I talked to the current owner of the chassis, where body 3530 was originally fitted and he is due to forward pics of his RR.