RR :: Spring 2018

Part 17 :: End Jan 18

Note:  This rebuild has personally and emotionally cost me a fortune to date ,   so please understand the objective is to restore it to be enjoyed  –  this is a car that was pulled from being scrapped, to get her running and looking OK but not absolutely perfect.

 

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_17b_20171228_143423.jpg

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_17b_20170821_093852.jpgJust a few before and after shots to remind me how poor she was.  A few hours with my furniture restorer, James and she was back to brand new condition….

 

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_17b_20171216_144851.jpgThese are the new bonnet panel stop bars, fitted to the front chassis, copied from the old oxidised and very rotten parts, probably cost €800 – €1,000 to re-make but making an amazing front end to the car.

 

 

The angle grinder is a vicious tool, cut quite deep but I waited till I finished the wing grinding till I pulled off the glove to inspect “my damage”.  Starting to heal well after 4 weeks.

 

 

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_17b_20171228_114822.jpg

The woodwork in the rear passenger driver wheel arch was really poor, woodwork, wet rot and neglect

 

Part 18  Feb 18

Some Old V New (OVN) pics
NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_17b_20171216_144851.jpg
Bonnet base plate
NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_8_20180109_134230.jpg
Battery box lower support
NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_8_20180105_161857.jpg
Bonnet latch and spring
Brake return springs
NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_8_20171222_193238.jpg
Front wing support bracket
NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929NF_13_20170904_172112.jpg
Bonnet hinge pins

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_8_20171231_141923.jpg
Rolls Royce Enthusiast Club kindly loan out specialist tools

Brakes rebuild:

The Rolls Royce Enthusiast Club kindly loan out specialist tools to members for the many repairs that are needed to keep these cars on the road, only charging postage. For the front and brakes, there were up to 7 specialist tools needed to service them, 6 were kindly supplied by RREC, weighing in at 15 Kgs.

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_8_20171231_141831.jpg

 

It took several hours to strip them down, finding a few wee problems along the way:

  1.  One Return spring missing
  2.  Another spring broken
  3.  A further spring not anything like strong enough, looked like something from a ball point pen
  4.   Four nuts missing out of 12, on the rear hub
  5.  Main linings down to rivits in places
  6.   Split pins missing from all 12 nuts on the rear brake locking plate

 

Luckily, I found a lovely guy, William in Bellewstown to re-line the lot for €240 on next day service! – See the supplier details for his contact info.

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_8_20171231_141831.jpg

Part 19 :: 2018

With the kind help (blackmailed into thinking it would only take an hour or so) from Martin Ryan, recently appointed Secretary of the Shrule and District Vintage Club (www.shrulevintage.ie), we started to work on temporarily re-fitting the 5 foot long front wings, modifying mounting brackets etc to minimise the damage when finally re-fitted for good.

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_Paint-time.jpg
With the budget long gone, white ceiling emulsion paint was my only option…… 🙂
NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_Yellow-cars.jpg
How she might look, (but less elongated) with some mustard in the white paint

The exhaust was hand made by the previous owners and rather badly, so I had to cut various bits of pipe to make a system that would loop over the rear axle, without removing the fuel tank every time, which wasn’t so easy but judge for yourself…

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_Exhaust-mod..jpgMade by Tripart Exhausts, Galway from a few old scrap bits lying in a pile in their workshop, to get the pipe shaped over the rear axle, for €50 cash (€200 from RR parts supplier).   The previous owner didn’t bother with this, “tut tut”.

 

 

Before and after Nickel plating the wheel hub nuts (€297.57 and 6  weeks to plate !)

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_20180110_143342.jpg
Before …
NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_20180303_100628.jpg
… and after

 

 

 

 


Part 20 : March 2018

Whilst about to fly to Rwanda, I had the chance to see my daughter Joanna in London and visit a couple of RR owners and the ex-owner of my car who had it for 6 years between 2009 and 2016.

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_Neil20__092417.jpg

The previous owner -2 John and Lady Vivien heard the car was stored in a neighbour’s barn for 29 years, the roof had collapsed, and he paid the minister £2,200 for the car, complete with vegetation, mould and mice droppings. Son Dan was the one with the idea, that luckily didn’t materialise, so Dan sold it after losing a huge amount of money on a car crash. John then sold it partly done up, to David for £11,500!  Grrr

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_Neil20__092658.jpg
Barn find . . . .
NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_Neil20__173903.jpg
As the car was found in the collapsed barn
NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_Neil20__103553.jpg
Dad John and Dan by their impressive garage

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

His plan was to turn it into a rat rod, by chopping the roof 12 “, fitting  big  wheels and a 5.7 litre RR engine

NeilsRollsRoyce - RR1929_Neil20__103506.jpg